Wednesday, September 18, 2013

La Bottega

Do really good sandwiches make YOU happy???? 


Really good sandwiches make ME happy. Just look at me! Pure joy.

Want to eat a really good sandwich, and be happy like me??? Of course you do!!!   

Then you should check out La Bottega, an Italian fine foods and deli shop, located in Ottawa's Byward Market.   



La Bottega has a special place in my heart. It was the first restaurant I "discovered" when I moved to Ottawa for party time medical school. 

Although I didn't exactly "discover" it - the shop is a local favourite and is almost always busy. Prepare to wait in line at lunch time or on the weekends... but trust me, it will be worth it. 



I could spend hours roaming up and down the aisles, checking out all of the goodies. Filled with fresh pastas, breads, Italian desserts, specialty olive oils....









And CHEESE!! Did I mention cheese?? Check out this big boy.  


There's also a fantastic antipasto bar. Chock-full of a variety of olives, sun dried tomatoes, artichokes... om nom nom. 






But the real reason we're here, is for a tasty sandwich of happiness. For that, you'll want to head on down to the back of the shop, and make your way to the deli counter. For just under $6, you can choose whatever bread, meat, cheese & toppings you like, to create your very own sandwich masterpiece. 


Here's mine. I went with turkey and salami, mozzarella and ALL the fixin's. It was so heavy, I could barely hold it with one hand. 


For dessert, we grabbed some chocolate chip biscotti on the way out. I'm not normally a huge fan of biscotti, too dry. But this was delizioso! (inserting my limited Italian vocabulary where I can). I've never had biscotti so good. It was soft and moist, with the perfect amount of chocolate.


It was a gorgeous, sun-shiny day in Ottawa, so we headed across the street and grabbed an outdoor table in the Market. 


Meaty, perfection! 


Sandwich heaven. 



There really is no "elegant" way to eat a sandwich. You just have to dive right in.  


Can't be afraid to get a little messy. 


Just don't forget to grab some napkins.


BUON APPETITO! 

La Bottega Nicastro on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. This place looks amazing and that sandwich looks so delicious!
    xoxo

    www.cakeandcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there. I think this is going to sound weird, but there it goes.
    I am a medical brazilian student studying in Ottawa for a year as an exchange student and I haven't met many people yet.
    I found your blog by accident while I was looking at some restaurant reviews and was wondering if maybe I could join you on some of your walks and restaurant visits. I just looks so much fun.
    My email is: natycanabarro@hotmail.com.
    And by the way, congrats on your blog. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete