Sometimes my parents would take us on day trips. One that really stuck with me was our trip to Agawa Bay, a provincial park just north of where our cottage used to be.
Not bad, huh?
Since this is one of my last summers back home, before year-round learning in clerkship and residency begin, I wanted to take a look around some of my old stompin' grounds. So, my adventure gal pal Cait and I packed up in my faithful Jeep, and hit the road. After a really straight forward drive (we weren't lost at all... hahaha) we finally made it!
To get to the pictographs, the real star of the show, there was a short hike to the rock ledge.
And then... TA DAA!!!
We made it. After a quick lesson from the helpful guide, we ventured off onto the ledge, to take a look at the pictographs. These pictographs (or ancient rock paintings) were created by the Ojibwe, and are one of the most famous Indigenous archaeological sites in Canada. They're beautiful representations of canoes and animals, as well as mythical creatures and abstract figures. (To be completely honest I was gripping the ledge with fear the entire time; didn't totally take in their beauty. Good thing I snapped some pics, and can enjoy them from home).
These kids were adorable! And totally fearless.
Can YOU spot the pictographs? (Hint: upper left)
After a bit more wandering around the beaches, Cait and I decided to head home. But there's just one thing you gotta do first. I'm pretty sure it's a rule. (Well probably not... but it should be). ICE CREAM!!!
We stopped at one of my favourite places in the world when I was younger, called Agawa Indian Crafts. Seeing it now was so strange - everything seemed so much bigger back then. After making a few new friends, and a quick look around some of the shops, we headed back home.
What's up, Kimosabi?
PS: before Cait and I headed out for the day, my mama showed me this old photo:
She's the little girl, holding her mama's hand at the pictographs. Look at those pink pants!! And my grandma's socks! Ever sweet. She asked me to find this spot, and to take my photo in front of it. Here's mine:


















Hi I'm April's proud mother!! The picture taken with my mother and I at the pictographs was in 1965!!! Wow time has flown by!
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom.
Wow, what a fun blog April! Looked like you had a beautiful day up North, definitely a blog for you to peak at when you cannot get home for awhile! I will always remember as well all the fun we had out at 'camp' and especially the canoe trip to the pictographs, we got a little wet but we are still above ground! lol Also, I will always remember your dad coming home from work or school and saying (shouting) "Let's have fun!" and that we did!
ReplyDeleteAnyway, glad you shared your day with us,
Love Auntie Kelly