Thursday, May 22, 2014

Toronto Day 3

For my last day in Toronto, Heather and I (#steaknfrenchfries) met up with her boyfriend, Chris, for brunch in Toronto's Distillery District. 




It was my first time exploring this historic neighbourhood, and I COULD NOT wait to get goin'!!! 



YIPEE!!





The Distillery District is absolutely gorgeous. Once the largest distillery in the world, it was redeveloped in the early 2000s and is now chock full of cute little cafés, trendy restaurants, art galleries and shops. 






The streets are "pedestrian only" and are made of traditional brick. Cute red-bricked factories with green windows and doors line the streets. The architecture speaks to a Victorian Industrial era, with pops of modern steel-silhouettes along the way. Twinkle lights flicker in the trees beside an old rusted-out truck. Walking around the Distillery District almost makes me feel like I've gone back in time. 






For brunch, we headed to El Catrin, an authentic Mexican restaurant. 

Can you say, Te-quil-aaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!  

El Catrin Destileria on Urbanspoon



Would ya just look at these two love birds??!!


We arrived a bit early, so we sat and chatted on the patio, huddled by the fire. 


And then at the strike of 11am, we were the first ones to be let in. 

The decor was IMPRESSIVE to say the least! 






I couldn't stop taking it all in.

SO MANY PRETTY COLOURS! 

There was a towering wall of hauntingly-beautiful hand painted skulls in the back. 

Giant black chandeliers dangled dangerously above us.

An astonishingly vibrant mexican mural enveloped the back wall with traditional fabric pillows beneath it. It took 3 Mexican artists 100 days to create the mural, and it is absolutely breathtaking! The ceiling and walls were raw with old wooden beams and exposed brick.

If restaurants look like this in Mexico, get me there!



We started with some bevvies! 

Heather and I both had this mexican-orangey flavoured coffee that I vaguely remember being made in a frying pan. I really wish I could remember what it was called, I can't find it anywhere! 

Apparently you're not supposed to drink it with milk, but we both did. Oops! 


I also had a watermelon marguerita. 

El Catrin has Canada's largest mescal and tequila bar, with over 120 different labels. I HAD to try one!  



I ordered my go-to all time favourite when I go out for brunch, Huevos Rancheros. 


If I'm being honest with myself, it was just alright. 

That being said, I'd have to come back at dinner time and try out the rest of the menu. 

But by the looks of things, El Catrin has a great cocktail menu and a huge heated patio.

On the 3rd Saturday of every month El Catrin hosts 'Mayahuel Nights', with guest DJs, drinks, and dancing until 2am. 

I'd definitely like to come back and check it out another time!




We spent the rest of the afternoon wandering in and out of shops, eating cotton candy, and napping until it was time for me to head back home. 

Thanks for having me, Toronto!  

See you again soon :) 

4 comments:

  1. You captured the day so perfectly! I had no idea el catrin had the largest tequila selection in Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi April!

    I absolutely love your shoes! I am looking at purchasing a pair very similar to yours! I am sorry for the slightly gross question, but do they make your feet sweat? If you own TOMS, do you find these similar to TOMS in terms of how much they make your feet sweat? I own TOMS and they make my feet sweat horribly!

    Fantastic website, by the way! You have a new fan!

    Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sarah! Awwwwww thanks so much!!
      If I'm being honest... they're not the comfiest shoes I've ever owned. I don't get sweaty but they rub a little bit on my toes and the back of my heel. But I'm still breaking them in. What I do sometimes is I wear lil sockettes under them or any of my flats, they help with rubbing and will probably help with sweat too! Hope that helps :)

      Delete
  3. I would love to have feet like yours that never sweat! Thank you for the feedback and advice!

    ReplyDelete