Monday, June 30, 2014

Interlaken Day 2

My second day in Interlaken started off pretty normally..................................................... 




LOL NOT! I WENT SKY DIVING! 


Honestly, the details on how this came to be are still a little hazy. 

The day before, the girls in my dorm said they were going canyoning and invited me to come along. 

Like, sure why not! Not really sure what "canyoning" means but it seemed cool and I was down for some activities. 

I made my way downstairs to the activity desk to make the reservation, and then *BAM* I was swiping my credit card and I had somehow scheduled SKY DIVING for 8:30 am the next day. APRIL WTF HAVE YOU DONE!!! 

The night before I was so nervous I didn't sleep a wink. 

Finally, morning came and it was GO TIME. LET'S DO THIS THANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!



The man strapped to my back (not sure what to call him) was named Andy. He was KIND OF an asshole but in a really funny way that after a little while was more funny than asshole-y and made the jump way more fun.

Like for example, my first question to Andy was: "So, do you have any advice for a first time skydiver?" Keep in mind how NERVOUS I was!!!

He goes: "Ya, try not to get me killed". 

Hooooooooooookay THANKS ANDY for that SUPER HELPFUL advice!!! I don't even know how to try to not kill you so ya thanks for that.

Anyway, here's me and Andy giving the thumbs up before we got on the plane! Wooooo! 


Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!





Looking back on this experience, the whole thing seems so surreal. 

I tried to take it all in, live in the moment and be super present, but it's like I blacked out or something! I remember asking how high we were jumping from, and I remember hearing an answer, but what that answer was I cannot say. 

The views were SPECTACULAR. I see that now from looking at the photos. But honestly, I was too preoccupied with the fact that I WAS ABOUT TO JUMP OUT OF AN AIRPLANE to really appreciate them. I was like "ya ya ou ya so pretty guys mhmm" but didn't really mean it haha. 

The ride up to the top went by pretty quickly. We were crammed in there like sardines. Everyone else was so calm, I have no idea how. Andy told a few jokes, and then it was go time.

I put on my safety glasses, shimmied my way to the open door, and sat on the ledge of the airplane.  



I don't remember pushing off or jumping really.

Probably because, I didn't hahaha. 

I vaguely remember just sitting there, and then all of a sudden we were flying!!!!!!!!!!! 

Geronimo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!









IT WAS SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The free-fall was the best part. 

I didn't think to look up or down, so I have no idea how fast we were falling because I had no point of reference, but it was like being blown by a giant fan while floating in the sky. 

It's really hard for me to describe the feeling more than that! 

My mind shut off. 

I wasn't aware that I was falling towards the earth, but I WAS aware that I was completely surrounded by air and NOTHING ELSE. 

Such an amazing feeling!!!!!  





One thing: just LOOK at how cool Andy is. Blowing kisses to the camera and flexing his muscles. Whatta show off!!!!!

Then there's me, I don't think I stopped screaming, like at all.

I have the EXACT same facial expression in almost every photo!!! 

Before we took off, I remember thinking to myself "oh I should give the thumbs up or some gang signs, that would be cool" LOL YA OK APRIL nice try tho hahaha.




Once the parachute opened, I remember feeling one thing: relief. 

I WAS SO HAPPY!

I DID IT! 

HURRAY!!!!!

GO ME!!!!!!




After landing, there were two types of people. 

Type 1: the zombies. In complete shock. One girl could barely take off her little skydiving suit even!!!

Type 2: the psychos. All high on life and ready to kick ass. On such a rush I swear some of the girls could have killed a man or performed an armed robbery and wouldn't have thought twice about it.

I, was a type 2. Shit got weird. I told Andy that I loved him and I'm pretty sure I ran laps around the field. But what a rush!!!!! I loved every minute of my skydiving experience. I thought this was going to be a once in a lifetime thing, but I already can't wait to go skydiving again. Perhaps go get my license and dive solo???? We'll see :) 






Since I didn't really sleep the night before, originally I thought I would just take a little nap and chill out for the rest of the afternoon.

BUT, my circumstances had changed. With this new found kick of adrenaline, I was ready to take over the world. I thought screw it, IMMA DO MORE ACTIVITIES!!!!! 

I met a couple a few days earlier who had mentioned they did a hike up to a beautiful lookout and restaurant. 

2.5 hour hike you say???????? NO PROBLEM! 

So after getting back to the hostel, I grabbed a bite to eat and decided to hike Harder Kulm, Interlaken's local mountain. 

IMMA RUN UP DIS BITCH! (I thought.) I. AM. UNSTOPPABLE!!!!!!!!!!!

...

SO not really surprisingly, the hike turned out to be way more challenging than I anticipated. Hahaha, damn that over self-confidence. 

But it was a beautiful hike nonetheless! So peaceful, and I finally saw that Swiss landscape I had been hoping for! There's also a 10 minute ride in a cable car that takes you to the top, but for me, that made the hike just that much more rewarding. I burned cals AND saved like 20 francs. Suckaaaaas.   






Emerging from the trail and finally making it to the restaurant/bar/lookout was kind of funny. 

As I approached the top, I started to hear this funny stereotypical Swiss music and people's voices. 

The trail started to thin out and then BAM there was this American family sitting in these lawn chairs right in front of me. By the looks of things, they took the cable car up. Like just out of nowhere, there's this family, chillin in lawn chairs like a metre away from me. I've been hiking my ass off for about 2 hours, in the depths of the Swiss wilderness in complete isolation, and then so suddenly, there's these people, straight relaxing, out of nowhere, with all of this tourist stuff around them and a restaurant in the background. I don't know why, but it just made me laugh.

Then the dad goes: "Congratulations! You made it. Now you deserve a beer." 

So, I wandered around the look out, and got a beer. 










And then I hiked back down. 

Worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment