Friday, October 4, 2013

The Easiest Turkey Chili

Nothing warms up my belly quite like a hot bowl of chili, on a cool fall day. 


It's basically the perfect food. Super easy to make. Healthy (with ground turkey substituted for the traditional ground beef, and lots and lots of veggies). It fills you right up, and did I mention how easy it is to make?? 


After a long day at school, I am hungry like the wolf. When I finally get home, cooking a meal from scratch is not an option. Making a big pot of chili on a Sunday night is fabulous, because it lasts me all week (and tastes even BETTER re-heated), and I can always freeze some for later if I ever get tired of it (I never get tired of it). 


To make your own batch of turkey chili, you will need: 


  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1 onion, chopped 
  • 1 & 1/2 tsp canola oil 
  • 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes (no salt added if you can!)
  • 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes (ditto with the no salt rule)
  • 1 (14oz) can red kidney beans (no salt added... see what I'm doing here??) 
  • 3 stalks of celery, chopped 
  • 1 cup corn (frozen or canned)
  • 1 cup carrots, chopped 
  • 3 heaping spoonfuls of chili powder 
  • 1 tsp garlic powder 
  • A few sprinkles of crushed chili peppers (I like my chili SPICAAAY. If you prefer milder chili, leave these out, or use with caution.) 

Optional toppings: 

  • A dollop of sour cream
  • Green onion, chopped 
  • Cheddar cheese, shredded 
  • Tortilla strips 


  1. In a medium frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and turkey. Cook until the turkey is browned. 
  2. Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the turkey and onion. Mix in the remainder of the ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer (simmer for an hour at minimum, I usually let mine simmer for around 4. The longer, the better!) 


And that's all she wrote! How easy is that???


I'll usually put a pot on around lunch time, go about my day, and come home to the most delicious aroma wafting from my apartment. Making chili is great because it's no fuss - you just mix it all up, and let the spices do the work. 


Turkey chili is good for you. Think about it. You're essentially just eating turkey, veggies, and beans. You health nut, you! 

...But if you're feeling rebellious, go ahead and add some sour cream on there.  


Maybe a bit of green onion. 


A little cheddar cheese never hurt anyone. 


And top it all off with some tortilla strips. 


Enjoy! 

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! I started making my chili with turkey this year, and I prefer it to ground beef! Another great option instead of sour cream is greek yogourt (plain, obvi). SO good.

    ReplyDelete