Monday, September 23, 2013

Pumpkin Quinoa Yogurt Parfaits

Like it or not, fall is officially here. 

You know what that means. 

PUMPKIN FLAVOURED ERRYTHANG!! 




Pumpkin lattés, pumpkin bread, pumpkin pies... YUS PLEEEZE!! 

So when I stumbled upon this recipe on Pinterest for Pumpkin Breakfast Quinoa, I knew I had to try it. 

I made a few changes to the original recipe, the biggest ones being: 
  1. Cutting out the sugar. Ya don't need it and I don't even miss it!; and 
  2. Turning it into a parfait, cause parfaits are so pretty!



At first, the idea of using quinoa in a sweet parfait rather than in a salad or casserole seemed strange, but once I tried it, it wasn't any different than putting yummy granola in my yogurt.

Ingredients: 
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup raisins (or dried cranberries... or chocolate chips, whatever you like!) 
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon 
  • sprinkle of ginger 
  • sprinkle of nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup pecans
  • 1 cup yogurt (I used low fat vanilla, greek vanilla yogurt could work too!) 


Instructions: 

  1. Prepare the quinoa as directed on the package. 
  2. While the quinoa is still warm, mix in the pumpkin, raisins, dried cranberries, whatever! 
  3. Mix in the cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Set mixture aside to cool. 
  4. Once cool, spoon a layer of the pumpkin quinoa into the bottom of each glass (I used 6 small glasses, depends on how big your glasses are). 
  5. Spoon a layer of yogurt, then another layer of quinoa, then a final layer of yogurt. 
  6. Top with pecans. 
  7. Enjoy! 

These parfaits are packed with protein and sooo so healthy. They make a great breakfast on the go, or could easily be eaten as dessert. Your call. 

All hail pumpkin season!
 

1 comment:

  1. april i think i'm in luv with you. i dont even know u but these parfaits make me want to make u my wife. let's get married on da rideau canal nd then have our reception at la botegga.

    ReplyDelete