Monday, February 24, 2014

Blueberry Muffins 4-ever!!

Dear blueberry muffins: I love you. 


What's your favourite kind of muffin? 
If given the choice, I'd choose blueberry 99.9% of the time (unless I was given a carrot muffin with cream cheese icing, but that's basically cake!). 


A few weeks ago, mama bear came down to visit me at school and go to some appointments. I was in class one day, when she went out grocery shopping and filled up my fridge with lots of goodies while I was gone. Sneaky mama! 



I always laugh every time my mom comes home from the grocery store. 
My dad is so regular. He buys the same things every time (I'm a lot the same way). Grapes. Apples. Milk. Bread. 
My mom on the other hand, complete wild card. You never know what that crazy woman is gonna come home with. And I luv it.  
When she went shopping for me, she came back with some good loot! Some interesting salad mixes. Fig Newton cookies (I haven't had these since I was like 6 years old!). Bison steaks. And last but not least: 6 quarts of blueberries. 6 QUARTS!!!! 
So what do you do, when you have 6 quarts of blueberries, and not enough time to eat them all? YA MAKE MUFFINS OBVI!! 



Making any kind of muffin is basically the same protocol every time: 

STEP ONE: Mix the dry ingredients together. 

STEP TWO: Mix the wet ingredients together. 

STEP THREE: Slowly pour the wet into the dry and fold together. 

STEP FOUR: Scoop, and bake! 


You can line the muffin tin with papers, or spray heavily with cooking spray to make sure they don't stick. I like to spray. The crispy golden edges are the best part! 

I found and adapted this recipe from Baker Bettie. It was the simplest one I could find, and used ingredients I already had at home. The key to this recipe is the lemon juice, which is supposed to make the blueberry flavour POP. Since I didn't have any fresh lemons kicking around, I used store bought lemon juice instead (2-3 tablespoons). To be completely honest I didn't notice a huge difference, but maybe you will! 

I also used butter instead of oil. My reason for this is obvious. Is butter ever really a bad idea???? I think not. 

INGREDIENTS: yield 12 medium sized muffins
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 TBSP baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 eggs, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • juice of 1 lemon (or 2-3 tbsp lemon juice)
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
  2. In a large bowl sift together all the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. 
  3. In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: eggs, milk, oil, vanilla, and lemon juice.
  4. Pour all of the wet ingredients into the dry bowl. Fold the mixture together.
  5. Add the blueberries.
  6. Heavily spray or line muffin tin with paper liners.
  7. Fill muffin tins 3/4 full.
  8. Bake at 400ºF for 20ih minutes, until a toothpick or fork inserted in the middle comes out clean.


Believe it or not, I still have some blueberries left over. 

Blueberry muffins 4-ever!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment