Sunday, August 18, 2013

DIY Flower Crown

I am OBSESSED with flower crowns.



I'm not at all a hippy child - I like to think of myself as more of a Kate Middleton than a Vanessa Hudgens, but there's just something about flower crowns I love so much. SO. FREAKIN'. MUCH!!! 

After looking around online, there were a lot that I liked, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend ~20-80 dollars on an accessory I wasn't even sure I could pull off. Here's a few favourites I used for inspiration on Etsy


This one is delicate and not too over-the-top.
Find it here

These colours are so purrrty.
Find it here

Really diggin' the peach.
Find it here

I'm not usually a DIY/crafty kind of gal (craft stores give me anxiety... TOO MANY THINGZ IN THURR!!), but this was a project I couldn't wait to get my hands on. First, I gathered my supplies: 


You will need: 

wire cutters
a couple handfuls of silk flowers (I used 9)
heavy rustic floral wire, for the base
light floral wire, to attach the flowers

I bought all of my supplies at Michael's (with the exception of the wire cutters, those were my dad's), and my total came to $23. BUT I bought way too many flowers (two more bouquets in addition to the one shown above... couldn't make up my mind!) so I had enough flowers to easily make two more crowns. That's roughly $7.67/crown. Not bad. 

Part two: assembly. 

Take your heavy rustic floral wire, and shape it into a circle that fits comfortably on your head. Don't make it too tight - adding the flowers makes it fit a bit snugger at the end.


Before you do anything, figure out the general arrangement of the flowers on your crown. I only covered the front half of my crown, but feel free to go all the way around if you like. Try not to over think this part. Once you put a flower on, it's just as easy to take one off. 

Once you've decided, take the light floral wire and wrap it around the stem of your flower. 


Then, start from the back of your crown and move forward. Secure the flower in place by wrapping the thin floral wire several times around the base. 


Keep adding flowers, until your crown is full and luxurious. 


Ta-daaa! 

Part three: put on your crown, and run barefoot through a field of daisies. I couldn't find one, so I ran around my back yard instead. 





Now go get your flower child on! 


4 comments:

  1. I really like these crowns, they're so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect post! I've been wanting a flower crown for ages :)

    http://lifeintheduckpond.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! The one you are wearing is so cute and pretty!
    xoxo

    www.cakeandcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) You are my spirit animal.
    2) You totally rock the crown.

    ReplyDelete