Our day began with a 4 hour drive from Hannah's cottage in Cape George, Nova Scotia. We picked up our car for the weekend, and we were off to the big city.
Halifax is the capital of Nova Scotia, and the biggest urban area in Atlantic Canada. I was DYING to get there. I love all things nautical, and Halifax seemed right up my alley. Do you ever get a feeling that you're going to fall in love with a city? That's how I felt about Halifax. I couldn't wait to meet her.
We started at the Halifax Farmers' Market.
I love markets!!!
Also check out this guy's t-shirt. I didn't notice it until I was uploading my photos. Lol.
The place was buzzing with locals buying fresh produce and cheeses, and tourists just trying to find their way around. As usual, I took waaaaaay too many photos.
The market had everything. Preserves, fresh seafood, baked goods, arts & crafts... heaven.
Hannah bought a local cheese, called Dragon's Breath...
While I obsessed over some artwork by a local artist named Leanne Bjerke.
She uses shells, canvas, driftwood, and barn boards to create artwork inspired by coastal living. I fell in love with the simple, teal coloured piece in the bottom left hand corner.
Hannah's favourite craftsman, was a fellow who made exquisitely beautiful cutting boards and bowls from pieces of wood.
One bowl is made of ~70 different pieces. None of the wood is dyed, it all shines in its natural colours.
#impressed.
After a while our tummies started rumbling, so we were off to lunch on the harbour front.
And then quickly back up on our feet to do what we do best, SHOP!
Hannah's friend, Victoria, used to work at a jewellery shop called House of Moda.
It was full of big, bright, dangly earrings, and chunky necklaces.
My favourites were the bright bangles, and the stretchy charm bracelets. If you'd like to take a look, you can find them online here.
The last shop we went to, was an adorable boutique called Sweet Pea.
The change rooms had theeeeee PRETTIEST stained glass windows.
I fell in love with this little number. The print!!!!! So cute!!!! I can't wait to show her off around the town tomorrow.
With a bit of time to kill before our dinner reservation, Hannah and I wandered around the Public Gardens, and took a stroll out onto the boardwalk. Halifax is GORGEOUS. I honestly can't recommend visiting this city enough. It's a big city, with a small town nautical vibe. There's something about coastal cities I really love. It exceeded all of my expectations.
For dinner, we met our friend Jimmy, at a restaurant called The Bicycle Thief.
I don't know about you, but I love me a restaurant with a theme. Now wait a second!!!! Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about the Rainforest Cafe, Medieval Times, or something tacky like that. No no no. Just something simple and subdued, almost muted, but still able to tie the dining experience together. For me, the atmosphere at a restaurant is just as important as the food.
The Bicycle Thief #nailedit.
The dinnerware was absolutely gorgeous. Little "bicycle thieves" popped up all over the place. Genius.
I was also obsessed with the blue glasses. Me wants some of these, badly! Anyone know where I can find some?
To start, Hannah and I shared the Tuna Tartare with avocado, sesame cucumber spaghetti, and pickled ginger wasabi cream.
For a main, I had the roasted Beef Short Ribs, soft Polenta, and sautéed wild mushrooms.
Let it be known: these beef short ribs are not the most photogenic dish on the planet, but they were DELICIOUS. The meat fell right off the bone. The polenta was a perfect side kick. I think I could eat this every day for the rest of my life.
We were all too full for dessert, but the menu looked incredible. If you're ever in Halifax, you must promise me you will eat here. I would make a reservation a couple days in advance, we called the morning of, and had to take an earlier table.
P.S. Apparently, there was at one time a bicycle on display at the front of the restaurant.
It was stolen.
Sad, or funny? You decide.




No comments:
Post a Comment