Thursday, August 15, 2013

Nova Scotia Day 3

The plan, was to head to Ingonish, a world famous beach town on the northeast coast of Nova Scotia. 

We were pumped!!! 

Unfortunately, mother nature had other plans. We woke up to a torrential down pour, which ended up lasting all day long. Boo-ourns.

But, whatcha gonna do?! Sometimes ya just gotta roll with the punches. Make lemonade out of lemons. Turn that frown upside down. You catch my drift?  

So we hopped in the car, and headed to a small town called Louisbourg, for a lunch of fish n chips. 



After a bit of online research, Hannah found our restaurant destination, The Grubstake

Grubstake Restaurant - Louisbourg on Urbanspoon
    
The place was packed! 



I don't think it gets any more Nova Scotian than this. Sturdy, dark wooden chairs, huge beams holding up the ceiling, a really simple table setting. I love these kinds of places! Authentic and genuine. 



Since it was a cold, miserable day, I went with some hot onion soup to start. 



10/10. Definitely hit the spot. Look at that cheesy goodness. 



I also ordered some "Grog"... 



It looked so interesting on the menu! I couldn't help myself. Ingredients: rum, apple juice, hot water & honey. I wasn't quite ready to try it yet, so Hannah went first... 



I'm pretty sure this drink was essentially just hot rum. Really strong. No wonder the waitress gave me a surprised look when I ordered it. Oh well, you live and you learn! Next up, was the fish n chips. 



I am by no means a fish n chips expert, this was only my second time ever having it. But I liked it! I'll basically eat anything if you deep fry it and serve it with coleslaw. 

Besides The Grubstake, Louisbourg is also known for the Fortress of Louisbourg. Built in the 1700s, its purpose was to defend against the British, and to provide a base for France's North American fishery. Today, the Fortress is a National Historic Site of Canada. Hannah and I took a drive to the other side of the harbour to take a look at it. If you look reeeeeeally closely, you can see it in the distance behind me.


   
When I think of the Maritimes, I think of lighthouses. It's like their thing, and I am kind of into it. Coincidentally, Louisbourg is also home to the site of the first lighthouse in Canada. 



The original lighthouse was completed in 1734, but was badly damaged in 1758. They built a second one, but that didn't last either. The lighthouse we see today was built in 1923. 
Stonework from the original tower is still on the site. 




There were some cliffs just across the way from the lighthouse. My photos don't do them justice. I don't want to get too corny or anything, but they were breathtaking. 






Dear Nova Scotia, you're bootiful <3 <3 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures! Looks like a great time, and now I am extremely hungry.
    xoxo

    www.cakeandcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lighthouses too! It looks so beautiful there!

    ReplyDelete