Saturday, August 17, 2013

Farewell, Nova Scotia!


My last day in Nova Scotia started a little, erm...... behind schedule. 
After dinner last night at The Bicycle Thief, Hannah, Jimmy and I hit the town. 
Halifax has an incredible nightlife. We danced and sang the night away, until we could dance and sing no more. 
Stereotypically, Maritimers are friendly. They actually are!! I met so many welcoming people, wanting to show me a good time. 
And a good time I had, indeed.
So after a slightly sluggish start to the day, Hannah and I put on our newly purchased dresses, and took a stroll around Point Pleasant Park with Jimmy. 



Then we were off to Fort George, the fortified summit of Citadel Hill. First established in 1749, its purpose was to protect the Protestant settlers against raids from the French. Today, it is a National Historic Site of Canada, and a great spot to look out over the city of Halifax. Check out dem views. 



In every single souvenir shop I went into, I kept seeing the same postcard. It was a photo of a row of brightly coloured houses, all with tall peaks. Kind of like this: 


I was obsessed with finding them. The houses were so quintessentially "Halifax", I fell in love. And they matched the print in my new dress!!!!! We were on the hunt. I had given up all hope, until this happened:


 We found them!!!! A true Halifax miracle. 


(Purple is coincidentally my favourite colour.)







I had the best time in Nova Scotia. It is a seriously under rated province. If you love all things nautical, but still like being in the city, add Halifax to your list. The seafood, the views, the night life, the people... everything was top notch. I'm so glad I bought the plane tickets, and just went for it. 
There's a quote I've seen floating around the internet:


Without getting too nostalgic, I couldn't agree more!!! I'm gonna tinker with shit and be selfish while I still can. #word.


If you do decide to go visit Nova Scotia, here's a few tips:
  • Maritimers (people who live in Eastern Canada, i.e. Nova Scotia, P.E.I. or New Brunswick) have a unique way of speaking. Figure out the local dialogue here

  • Want to impress Nova Scotians while out at the bar? Learn the words to this song and become familiar with this band

  • Ever heard of a donair? Neither had I, but you should probably eat one

P.S. Our last night in town, we went to a bar called the Lower Deck. Apparently it is always bumpin on Sunday nights, the place was packed! I'd suggest getting there early, we showed up at 10:30 and it was already at capacity. We sat at long wooden tables with benches, drinking Keith's (the local beer) and singing along with the band. One highlight, was Hannah getting her picture taken with Chris Neil, an NHL player from the Ottawa Sens. #celebsighting



  

No comments:

Post a Comment